Chapter Six

Sophia was holed up in the back room, with her back to the door, trembling. That was incredible. She had never felt such power – had never enjoyed herself more. Then she had a sobering thought. While it looked like Richie enjoyed himself, playing along with the game, she couldn’t read Jon. She started pacing. Was he offended? Or worse, disgusted? Sophia groaned. Oh well; what’s done is done.

She heard someone enter the room behind her, and thinking it was Lucien, said, with a shaky voice, “What a night! I couldn’t have asked for a better anniversary. I can’t believe those two came in! That I got to play guitar and sing with Richie Sambora and share drinks with Jon Bon Jovi! AND, they both stayed for my little performance. What a rush. I hope they don’t think I’m a nut or something. What did you think?” She turned around, and nearly fainted at the sight of Jon in her doorway, his breathing ragged, his eyes piercing her, shining a deep midnight blue.

“I think I’d like to have the next dance,” he said. “Dance with me?”

Sophia just stared. Out in the bar, the band had started up another Bon Jovi ballad, continuing their tribute.

“Please, take my hand,” Jon implored, stretching a hand to her in invitation.

Sophia waited another three heartbeats, then, trembling, reached out to take Jon’s hand. His fingers were remarkably soft and smooth, considering how much time he spent playing his guitar. She expected calluses. Jon stepped backward, gently leading her. He drew her in close to him, fitting them together, enveloping himself in her scent. He pulled her closer and pushed a stray lock of hair from her face, and nearly groaned at the feel of it.

Jon whispered in her ear, “Come on, baby, I’ve seen you move; I want to really dance with you. Close your eyes, and let yourself go. Pretend I’m your friend out there...”

Sophie took a steadying breath. What the hell, she thought; I’ve already told him my dark secrets, and I’ll never be with him like this again after tonight. “Actually, when I was dancing with Luce, darlin’,” she whispered, “I was pretending he was you. All of that out there, all of what you saw, was all you. For you, about you, to you. I’ve been fantasizing about you for years, darlin’.”

Jon smiled his megawatt smile. Sophia’s face turned red again. “Is that a fact,” Jon drawled. His arms tightened around her, sliding along the silky fabric of her dress. “Let’s see if this reality matches your fantasy.”

They didn’t speak again. All through that song, and the next, and the next, they danced.

0 comments: